
Dr. Friedberg said not to worry last week when I told him that my hair hurt when my head touched the pillow--it wouldn’t hurt for long. He was so right! It was the follicles hanging on for dear life. By Friday they had “given up.” As I got into the shower that morning, my hair was coming out in clumps.

On Saturday, I had my appointment for a wig. Sherry at Alternative Hair is fabulous! I thought she would shave my head, but instead she suggested just cutting it really short—that way as the rest fell out, it would bend and not poke me. The next step was trying on the wig. It looked pretty “wiggy” until Sherry worked her magic, trimming it to fit my look.
Thursday, May 8, 2008 began my second round of chemotherapy. Myra, caregiver extraordinaire, accompanied me and made a yummy “post-chemo” dinner. We met with Dr. Friedberg and Lynn Rich. Both were pleased with how well I had done with round one and asked about how Julie was doing. After Dr. Friedberg examined me, Lynn explained my blood counts and confirmed that everything looked good to go. The infusion rooms were crowded, and my nurse was having an “off-day” so getting the IV inserted was four “sticks” later. Myra did a great job of keeping me distracted through all the poking! The infusion itself went smoothly and much more quickly than the first round. Thanks to Gail Hyde, I was super comfy in my warm and soft shawl. I enjoyed visits from Vicki and Sue. To break up the infusion boredom, I shared the Hair and No-hair look!
Julie is on the trail of selecting her medical team. It’s unnerving to have to figure out surgeons, oncologists, possible radiologists. We got some help from a terrific organization called the Breast Cancer Coalition of Rochester. One of Julie’s good friends, Anne, who has experienced breast cancer twice personally, is guiding us through the process.
I’m still in a state that feels like suspended animation about Julie and I both having cancer at the same time. It’s difficult to anticipate how we’re going to handle this, but I can’t really focus on the future. I’m working on staying in the present. I am focusing on the moments we have and what blessings are gracing me. One day at a time is now more than a spiritual guide – it’s become a blueprint for living through all this chaos.
I’m still in a state that feels like suspended animation about Julie and I both having cancer at the same time. It’s difficult to anticipate how we’re going to handle this, but I can’t really focus on the future. I’m working on staying in the present. I am focusing on the moments we have and what blessings are gracing me. One day at a time is now more than a spiritual guide – it’s become a blueprint for living through all this chaos.


15 comments:
Ellie,
The wig looks maaahhvelous! I think I like it better than your regular hair........just kidding. Sounds like you have some great supporters with you during this time. I keep thinking...how would I handle this if I were in that chair having my hair cut off.? Well, actually, there wouldn't be that much to cut off!
Keep up the fight Ellie. Your attitude is amazing....and so is that wig!
..Robb
Ellie
Tomorrow, May 10th is Pittsburgh's Annual Race for the Cure. It has become somewhat of a Camerlengo family tradition to spend Mother's Day's morning walking with what seems like all of Pittsburgh! This year, Nick and I will be walking with you and Julie in our hearts!
You are amazing, my friend!
Love,
Renee
You know Ellie, looking at the pictures of "hair" and "no hair" it became so utterly clear to me that your spirit, humor, and beauty shine through your eyes and smile--your hair is just hair. You will always be wonderful and totally you no matter if you have hair or not.
Love you,
Sue
Ellie,
I just caught up with the news. My prayers are there for you and Julie. You both are strong willed people and will get through it together. Your wig looks wonderful, Can't even tell the difference.
Keep up the wonderful spirits up.
Trisha
Ellie:
You are my inspiration! Thank you for sharing this journey with all of us...we believe in you (and Julie) and know this will all work out!!
My daughter is donating her hair this summer to Locks for Love...we will be thinking of you when she donates!
My best ALWAYS
Dawn
You are absolutely amazing Ellie, both you and Julie...
You are a true inspiration to me each and every day and especially in my little daily challenges. I come to your page to see your smiling face, for that extra burst of encouragement through your bright smile, that smile I always picture when I hear your name :)
We miss you very much and are counting the days until we get to see you again!
Keep up the kickin' girls!
With love... Nikki & Zach
Dear Ellie,
You are so beautiful and very courageous. We continue to pray for you and Julie and may God strength you both for go thru with chemo, etc.... You still have very beautiful smile. We love you so much.
Keep fight and keep up with good spirit.
Margie and Deb
Ellie-
You are amazing! Loved your spirit and am so thrilled you are doing this blog. You are definitely a role model of mine. You are in my thoughts, so is Julie. Will include you both!
Hugs,
Beth
Ellie,
I finally had the chance to read your blogs. It was very brave of you to express your thoughts and feelings about this journey that you are taking.
You are a very strong woman and i know you will be able to fight this out!
My prayers are with you.
Alim C.
Hi Ellie
love what u wrote:
"One day at a time is now more than a spiritual guide – it’s become a blueprint for living through all this chaos."
Very true and very important
Health crisis often remind us of how precious life is and how important the moment of NOW is
something we easily forget when life is going smoothly
Each time sirius and i pass ur home i say a silent blessing over u and julie. i still am very shocked that u got this double whammy
seems so unfair
"enough already" i want to shout
thank u so much for keeping us up-to-date and for ur brilliant spirit
peace
patti
Ellie,
Thank you for letting me in and telling me the Blog address so I can follow your progress. When you told me that day about having cancer, I was shocked. And then you told me to enjoy everyday and to hug my kids and enjoy them everyday....and I have done that everyday since - I think about the look in your eyes when you said that, and I felt like that was a "cue" from above that I'd better not miss - so I listened, and so I thank you for that.
Your strength and smile is such an inspiration. You will kick the cancer to the curb - I have no doubt. I am glad that I can follow your journey on this blog - because I think about your progress often. -Jess Taylor
Ellie -
I think you are amazing. Such an incredible and positive transformation despite the challenges you are confronted with.
My offer to cook, take out the garbage or walk the dog still stands! (grin)
Love ya,
Erin
Ellie...
well, sorry I for one would like a wig more like the girl in the picture with the pink hair..can't you do that? who wants to be subtle about this all...?
Thank you for sharing your journey and your words...you are a reminder for us all to cherish the moment..
and there is that old saying: God never gives you more than you can handle...and my pal often responds: I wish God didn't have so much faith in how much I can handle...smile
take good slow easy care
kc
Ellie...
well, sorry I for one would like a wig more like the girl in the picture with the pink hair..can't you do that? who wants to be subtle about this all...?
Thank you for sharing your journey and your words...you are a reminder for us all to cherish the moment..
and there is that old saying: God never gives you more than you can handle...and my pal often responds: I wish God didn't have so much faith in how much I can handle...smile
take good slow easy care
kc
Ellie
I had no clue when I saw you yesterday and complmented on your hair that it was a wig! Someone just told me about the cancer and the wig TODAY! I am so happy that your always optimistic spirit has not been broken and that you are and WILL kick this cancer to the curb! YOU LOOK GREAT! All my best wishes and prayers.
Sara Bayerl
Post a Comment