April 12, 2008

And so it starts

I was in for my annual "peek and poke" exam when my gynecologist didn't like the way my uterus felt.  She ordered an ultrasound and wrote "Fibroids" on the paperwork.  Not too concerned because I've had them before, I didn't rush to schedule the test.  After a business trip and some other "important stuff"--I found time in my schedule and went for the exam.  While on the exam table, the technician (a really nice RIT grad) asked me if I was in any pain.  I felt fine and said no--nothing was bothering me.  Continuing the scan, she asked again--are you sure you're not in pain?  By her third inquiry, I was getting concerned.  She told me she wasn't sure what it was--but something wasn't right.  She went to get my doctor, who was conveniently in the office suite next door.  When she came in and looked at the screen, she announced she didn't know what she was seeing, but didn't like what it was.  And scheduled me for a CT scan the next day.

It's so ironic that this was happening when I'm actually feeling better than I've felt in YEARS! I'm physically strong and feel great.  I started swimming last summer, then cranked it up a notch in the fall by working out with a great trainer, Joe Delgado, twice a week with additional cardio time.  I work daily work on my OA program, appreciate the blessing of abstinence and my eating plan, and have dropped 50 lbs.

When the doctor called me Friday night with the CT scan result, she told me of my enlarged lymph nodes--suspicious of lymphoma.  She  also told me to cancel my Sunday travel plan to attend a conference in Washington DC--big bummer because I was really looking forward to it-- a Hillel meeting focused on Higher Education and creating a more civil society.   She wanted me to get a biopsy as quickly as possible.

With the diagnosis pending, I started on the information-seeking super highway and in quick couple of weeks have gotten a crash course in Lymphoma.  

Needle and knife biopsies led to a definitive diagosis--Diffuse Non-Hodgkin's Large B-Cell.  An aggressive form of the disease, which is actually a good thing.  That means that the cells divide quickly and are very responsive to treatment.  Slow growing cancer is --well, slow growing, but is also more resistant to the chemotherapy drugs.  I'm still waiting on other test results to determine the staging-that will let me know how pervasive the cancer is and where it is in my body.

The time between the first test and the biopsy results has been pretty unnerving.  Right after I got the news I was driving and my vanity mirror was flipped down.  I looked in the mirror and had a heart-to-heart with my God.  Probably because of my work over the last year and a half in Overeaters Anonymous, I said--"Okay, God!  I'm turning this over to you and I'm in for the ride." Clipped to my visor is a little card my OA sponsor gave me some time ago.  It says:  "Do your best.  God will do the rest."  That's my plan. 

I am blessed with incredibly supportive family and friends.  During this initial phase, they have helped me sort through the medical maze and ride the emotional roller coaster.   With their guidance I selected an oncologist, Dr. Jonathan Friedberg, at the Wilmot Cancer Center at Strong Memorial Hospital.  When my housemate, Julie, and I met with him we both got a really good feeling that I was in the right place.  His nurse, Lynn Rich, is a neighbor--someone who lives around the block, but I'd never met.  She seems great and everyone on their team was very nice and super competent.  

I start chemotherapy next week.  I am very optimistic.  One of the first things Dr. Friedberg said was "this is curable."  I've begun the journey towards that cure and know that having your support will definitely help me kick this cancer to the curb!  

 

19 comments:

Stephen Aldersley said...

Kicking is good, Ellie. But don't stop at the curb. Kick it over the curb and down the drain.

Thinking of you,
Stephen

sue foster said...

I have my big boots on and am ready to kick right along side you... sue

Trish said...

Ellie,

The years that I have known you, you are a strong person and I have no doubt that you will kick it to the curb. Ill keep you in my prayers. And if you need some help kicking I can do so with the cold Arctic air from Canada. ;-)

Hugs
Trisha

Debbye Byrne said...

Trotting along with my BIG~n~Heavy ice hiking boots! I am smiling along with you on this one!

Mary Lou Basile said...

Hi Ellie

You are a tough cookie and I know you will beat this. I have my kickin' shoes on and will kick along with you.

Love and Prayers

Mary Lou

Liam Esposito said...

Your left foot (which we'll name "Optimism") and your right foot (which we'll name "Perseverance") will most definitely kick the cancer. I'm by your side, Ellie.

-Erin

Anonymous said...

Ellie,
July 3 it will be 31 years ago I met you at NTID. Time flies!!! I want you to know I'll be right along side you, supporting and cheering you on ... and ready to kick some cancer a long way farther than the curb!

Hugs, Sharaine

marilyn mitchell said...

Ellie,
What a strong woman you are! I love the card you have on your visor. God will do the rest. You have always done your best and will with this part of your life too. You are my prayers woman. I'm in CA for a couple of weeks. My niece is putting you right into her prayer chain. Go woman go!!!

Ask for what you need from God, friends and family. Loads of love, Marilyn

Sid said...

I love the fact that you're blogging, Ellie, and not surprisingly, your willingness to communicate your way through this with friends, family and God. Half shod or no, count me among your metaphorical fellow kickers. ...Sid Barefoot

female interpreter educator said...

Ellie....the gym is empty without you!! I'm here in the crowd, kicking along with everyone and sending my love.

Chris Monikowski

Anonymous said...

Aloha Ellie!
All of us are kicking with you!!!!
You are our prayers.
Hugs with smiles!!!
Leslie Greer and Diane Piela

Shelly said...

Ellie,

I hope you're doing ok today. You are in my thoughts often. Let me know what you need!
Hugs
Shelly

Bill Keenan said...

Hi, Ellie,

Remember me, from RSD? We met a few months ago. Just wanted you to know that I'm rooting for you and praying for your complete recovery. I'm currently reading Norman Cousins's book, "Anatomy of an Illness", which posits that, among other things, attitude is a huge key to wellness. Well, from what I've hear about you, you've got the key, baby!! Keep up the good fight!!

Blessings...

Bill Keenan

Mindy said...

Ellie,

Keep blogging! You are in my thoughts daily. Remmy, I used to play soccer and I sure can kick! It looks like we have a team now - so let's all kick with you! With God, family and friends and especially your optimistic attitude, you'll score!

Love and hugs,
Mindy

Corinne said...

Hi Rosie! (thought you'd enjoy that)

This too shall pass - for we are strong!

Kicking it up a notch just for you!
Corinne

PS - love this kicking theme ;)

Bev said...

We're thinking of you and praying for your quick recovery. Keep on kickin' and we'll be kickin' with you in spirit!
Love,
Jim & Bev
Putnam, CT

Anonymous said...

Ellie, I love your humor and approach. I think with your narratives, you are helping us more than we are helping you! Just keep going with that resolve and outlook!!

Thank YOU!
Denise

Ferniek said...

Ellie,

Wil is part of my support at the Gathering Place in Cleveland. He gave me your name since I also have Lymphoma(the beast).

You have a wonderful spirit. You sound strong and ready to take cancer on with a win for the good guys.

It has been almost a year since I sat in one of the therapy chairs. It has not been easy but it can be done. There are many of us survivors to help if you need it along the way. It is a club you never want to belong to, but with some of the most wonderful people I have ever met. I am here to help if needed.

A great site for info and friendship.
webmagic.com™ Forums: Viewing forum: Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma

A great place to vent, ask questions and to receive support.

I will be adding you to my prayer list and sending out positive vibes. You are a survivor "kicking cancer to the curb". As they say You GO GIRL.

Good Luck to Julie. She will also be added to my prayers.

Fern Legat
Ferniek@aol.com

Sharon Hurley said...

A friend told me about it last night, and gave me link to your blog site.

I know you will kick this, you are a fighter plus you have positive attitudes.. that helps..

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Thinking of you...
Hugs
Sharon (Lott) Hurley